The OK MQG group has organized a sewing retreat for July. For anyone interested in attending from our group, that’s approximately a 7 hour drive. The cost of the tickets are $250 and includes a class on Friday and another on Saturday. Teachers are Dana Bolyard and Carolyn Friedlander. More details can be found here at their site.
We talked at our last meeting about keeping our eyes open for different events we might be interested in attending, so I will be posting these for your interest and feedback.
We had a wonderful meeting Saturday. It felt like we talked our heads off but everyone seemed to enjoy getting back together after our December break. Our challenge for this meeting was to come in with some accomplishments and new skills learned in 2013 and new goals for 2014. The list ran the gamut.
- The biggest accomplishment may have been a job restructure. Less stress and more time. That’s a win!
- Having the courage to speak to other guilds about Modern quilting…and doing a wonderful job from what I hear.
- Some skills included quilt-as-you-go, hand piecing, and curves.
- Some ideas for next year were working with Japenese style work in indigo fabrics, Polaroid quilts (there were some interesting versions of this idea), wholecloth quilts, and the majority was interested in working with improv.
Those are just a few things we talked about! We really had a blast trading ideas.
We agreed we enjoyed the education segments followed by ‘sit-and-sews’. So for the next few months, our schedule looks like this:
- FEB – Marty will share how she connected quilt-as-you-go blocks with binding strips. (Her Skill Builder quilt (Pile o Fabrics 2013 BOM) was beautifully put together!)
- MAR – Carly will demonstrate English Paper Piecing
- APR – Marie will demonstrate hand quilting. (She was able to take a hand quilting class while at the Houston Int’l Quilt Festival recently. Lucky girl!)
- MAY – Ramona will demonstrate hand piecing. (Sounds like we’re turning into a traditional guild. LOL We’ll have to use some really modern fabrics on this one. :-D)
- June – Marty will spend some time teaching her improvisational methods. This may include curves. It’s teacher’s choice, so you’ll have to wait and see. Knowing Marty, it will be too much fun.
We pretty much agreed we would like to arrange a weekend retreat for one of the meeting weekends, so stay tuned!!! More details will be forthcoming.
We had so much fun, I wish you could have been there! Maybe next time.
Thanks for spending a minute with us,
for NELA MQG